This month's "Insider Tips" takes a look at:
Do's and Don'ts of the Fast Break...
- Look up and see the whole floor.
- Pass ahead to the open player (until someone has a good scoring opportunity)
- Sprint the floor. (Run! Run! Run!)
- Play under control.
- Let the play make itself.
- Read the numbers. Go where you have an advantage.
- Get wide to fill the lanes.
- Make the easy play.
- When bringing the ball down in the middle, stop at the foul line to make a play.
- Use the chest pass on the break; the bounce pass is too hard to handle.
- If the back player (trailer), delay at half court to cover the break defensively.
- Be a good receiver.
- Have your mind made up about what you want to do.
- Jump to pass.
- Pass to a player in trouble.
- Take giant steps. (Settle for the open 12-footer instead of the contested 8-footer)